What Happens to Leftover Grape Skins?

We know that grapes are made into wine, but what happens to the skins? It turns out they have a lot more use than being tossed out or being fed to this guy.

Let’s be real, in a perfect world all of the grape skins would be going to feed this adorable dude. Can you even imagine how chubby he would get?

About 80% of a grape crop is used to make wine. So what happens to the other 20% of the grape? I know what you’re thinking; “I have never heard the word ‘wine’ associated with the word ‘leftovers’ before.” Don’t worry; the concept of leftover wine terrified me too. But then I found out that these leftovers could be used in the OTHER greatest thing on earth: food.

Wine “leftovers” are generally the remaining seeds, skins, and pulp called “pomace.” It was usually used as fertilizer or just thrown away until several years ago. Then research revealed that pomace is packed with nutrients and can be used in food.

Now pomace is being used as a flour substitute in baked goods. Bread, brownies, and muffins, oh my! (Lol). And it’s gluten-free.

Then I asked a question I ask myself no less than 10 times a day: does it taste good? According to a blind taste test, it’s great. Apparently it’s slightly “grape-y,” almost like a cabernet sauvignon.

Not only does this “wine flour” sound delicious; it will also aid in repairing the sustainability in wine production. Although not many of us have gotten the opportunity to try flour, made with pomade, we can take solace in the fact that it is a developing industry. I have a dream…that one day, each member of Bright Cellars will have the opportunity to hold a cabernet brownie in his or her hand.

How do you feel about “wine flour”? Does a cabernet brownie sound good to you? Let us know what you think @BrightCellars on twitter or in the comments section!



Bright Cellars

Our staff is full of passionate wine lovers. With our amazing sommeliers at the helm, we’ve been schooled on all things wine. We came together to write this article, in hopes of spreading a little wine-ducation with you.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.