Winter is fast approaching whether we’re ready for it or not. As we move further into the depths of Fall, it’s time to get creative with how we’re going to survive the coming frigid months. Fortunately, as adults, we have the option to spike any drink with wine. Why not take a childhood favorite and turn it into something that makes getting through the impending snowy weather a little easier? Red wine hot chocolate is the perfect drink for cozying up and warming your soul. After a long day of cooking, cleaning and conversations, this spiked hot bevvy will soothe your tired voice and give you major chill vibes. (Plus, it takes minimal effort)
Here’s What You Need!
Serves up to 8 mugs
- 5 oz finely chopped dark chocolate (if you aren’t a fan of dark, feel free to use milk chocolate)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cups whole milk (whole milk is recommended, but skim or 1% can be used if you like your hot cocoa skinny)
- A pinch of salt
* Best for Last *
- 1 ½ cups fruity red wine (Our recommendations: Merlot, Shiraz or Zinfandel – these varietals have dark fruit flavors that blend extremely well with dark chocolate)
Here’s What You Do!
- Whisk together the finely chopped chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder, and cinnamon in a large saucepan.
- Add the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat for approx. 5 minutes. Whisk as you go to prevent the chocolate from burning!
- When the mix is smooth and the chocolate is melted, add the dash of salt and stir.
- Remove the liquid from the heat and add your red wine of choice! Be sure to take the saucepan off the burner once you’re ready to add the vino, otherwise, the alcohol will be cooked out of the wine (which pretty much defeats the purpose, amirite?).
- Pour the red wine hot cocoa into your 8 cutest mugs. For an especially aesthetically pleasing Instagram pic, add a dash of cocoa and a cinnamon stick for garnish.
- Call up your best friends and enjoy your night cozied up by a fire or in front of your latest binge-worthy series.