While the younger boys and ghouls get their hands on heaps of candy this year, we’re taking a more sophisticated approach. Join us in sipping on some Hallowine cocktails that are all treats, no tricks:
The Black Widow’s Brew
This creepy cocktail features a dark, sweet juice of your choice. Pick your poison!
- 1 bottle of dry red wine (we suggest our Obscura Petite Sirah!)
- 2 cups dark fruit juice of your choice
- ¼ cup brandy
- ⅓ cup elderflower or raspberry liqueur
- 1 cup blueberries, extra for garnish
- 1 clup sliced black grapes
- 2 sliced plums
- Combine the red wine, dark fruit juice, brandy, liqueur, blueberries, sliced grapes and plums in a large pitcher. Chill for 1-2 hours.
- Pour the dark mixture into glasses. Garnish with blueberries and orange twist. Enjoy! Mix red wine, fruit juice, brandy, liqueur, blackberries, grapes, and plums in a large pitcher. Chill 1 to 2 hours.
Bobbing for [Alcohol-infused] Apples
A 21+ twist on an old-school favorite. *Note – prep this bevvy a day in advance.
- 1 bottle of dry white wine (we suggest our Forty Winks Chenin Blanc!)
- 8 oz apple flavored vodka
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda
- 3 large apples, thinly sliced
- Several small whole apples (enough to make floating apple garnishes)
- One day prior to serving, combine the wine, apple vodka, apple juice and sliced apples in a large pitcher. Refrigerate overnight.
- Once you’re ready to serve, remove the large apple slices and pour the mixture through a strainer.
- Transfer the mixture to a large glass bowl and float the small whole apples atop the brew. Add the soda to your bowl.
- Ladle the mixture into glasses or bob away at your own risk!
Not Your Mummy’s Mulled Wine
This mulled wine is to die for
- 2 bottles of fruity red wine (we recommend Mojave Rain Zinfandel or La Cueca Merlot!)
- 1.5 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- Place the peppercorns, fennel seeds and cinnamon pieces in a large tea ball or tightly secured cheese cloth.
- In a large saucepan, combine the wine aromatics from step 1 (either in the tea ball or cheesecloth), bay leaves and orange zest. Cover and simmer the mixture on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Remove the aromatics (tea ball or cheesecloth) and strain the mixture. Discard orange zest.
- Stir the sugar into the wine mixture until it is dissolved.
- Serve warm in glasses, mugs or goblets. Enjoy!
Grilled Goblin Sangria
Feel the burn with this charred elixir.
- 2 bottles of rosé (we recommend our Circa 33 Rosé!)
- 8 oz simple syrup
- 8 oz brandy
- 3 cups seedless red grape
- 2 oranges, cut crosswise into ½ slices
- 2 lemons, cut crosswise into ½ slices
- Charcoal grill
- Perforated grill sheet or grill basket
- Light your charcoal grill and place the grapes on your grill sheet/basket. Grill over high heat, tossing occasionally until they start to burst (approx. 6 minutes). Transfer the grapes to a plate to cool.
- Grill the orange and lemon slices over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred (approx. 6 minutes). Transfer the citrus slices to a plate to cool.
- In a large pitcher, combine the wine, simple syrup, brandy and grilled fruit. Stir well then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, pour the mixture into glasses over ice. Enjoy!
The only cocktail you’ll vant to drink this Halloveen.
- 1 bottle of red wine (we recommend any red wine you were matched with from Bright Cellars!)
- Pour red wine into a drinking vessel of your choice. Enjoy!
Drink up, witches!