How well do you know your red wines? Here’s some info to keep you in the tread with that knowledge of red.
- Regions: France, California, Washington State, Australia
- Flavors: Bell pepper, Green Olives, Black Cherry
- Aromas: Blackberry, Cedar, Chocolate, Tobacco, Herb
- Fun Fact: There is such a thing as Cabernet Day! It’s every August on the Thursday before Labor Day (because I need another excuse to get my cab on).
- Regions: Most common in Argentina, but also in France
- Flavors: Sour Cherry, Spice
- Aromas: Herb, Flowers, Mocha, Black Pepper, Leather, Cocoa
- Fun Fact: A great tell on a Malbec is a magenta-tinted rim.
- Regions: France, California, Oregon
- Flavors: Cherry, Strawberry, Plum
- Aromas: Red berries, Tea-leaf, Leather
- Fun Fact: Pinot Noir is known as the “heartbreak” grape because of its thin skin and susceptibility to vineyard disasters. Pinot, breaking hearts since the 1st century.
- Regions: France
- Flavors: Strawberry, Black Cherry, Herb
- Aromas: Plum, Vanilla, Clove
- Fun Fact: Merlot gets its name from the French word for ‘little blackbird,’ for its dark color. My name means “Son of a Fair Man,” which isn’t quite as cute.
- Regions: France, Australia, Washington State, California
- Flavors: Blackberry, Boysenberry, Plum, Pepper
- Aromas: Licorice, Bacon, Rosemary
- Fun Fact: Syrah and Shiraz are made from the same grape! They keep each other grape company (too much?)
- Regions: California
- Flavors: Dark Cherry, Strawberry, Black Currant, Orange Peel
- Aromas: Cinnamon, Thyme, Vanilla
- Fun Fact: A Zinfandel grape LOVES the sun (me too, girl), as it causes it to become extra ripe with rising alcohol levels.